Saturday, January 24, 2015

Storytelling Week 6: The Game

Once upon a time in a faraway land, lived two little kitties.  All cooped up inside and wanting to have some fun, the two kitties decided to go for an afternoon stroll.  As they started down the street, they saw Hadley, the meanest kitty of them all.  Hadley stopped and hissed and ran after them until she couldn’t keep up much longer and she disappeared into the distance.

The two little kitties were running for their lives when they found Clo, another little kitty hiding behind a bench.  They said to Clo, “Come with us, hurry and run!  Hadley isn’t far behind!  She’s coming, she’s coming!”   So Clo decided to go, now three little kitties running down the road when they happened upon Baker, who was on the other side of the road.  They meowed to Baker, “Come Baker, come!  Hadley is coming! I can almost hear her!”  So went Baker, Clo and the two little kitties all running down the road.

Off in the distance they found Pepe who was sitting near a mailbox.  Again the kitties cried for Pepe to hurry for Hadley was coming.  All of the kitties were scared for their lives so they ran and ran as fast as they could.  They hadn’t seen Hadley since back before Clo but they knew she was coming so she had to be close. 

They made it to the market, a little ways up the road, where they were greeted by none other than Hadley.  Clo, Baker, Pepe and the two little kitties knew, they had been seen.  There was nothing to do but freeze in their tracks and Hadley approached them and gave one a whack.  She bopped little Pepe right on the nose and as she did it she shouted, “Tag!  You’re it!”  All of the kitties laughed except for little Pepe who was now trying to catch one of his other kitties!  And so the game went on, for hours and hours, until all the kitties had been caught and tagged. 


Tired and worn out, the kitties all went home.  Their game of tag was an afternoon ritual and before the kitties departed, they meowed, “See you tomorrow.”  The kitties were no longer bored from sitting at home and were looking forward to the next day where they would once again run for their little cat lives from their very best friends, Clo, Barker, Pete and Hadley and they would soon meet again.  


Cat hiding 


Authors Note: For this weeks storytelling post, I decided to retell the story of The Two Little Cats.  I was inspired by the original story to turn their adventures into a game of tag.  Instead of having all the animals the cats ran into be different, I made them all cats and best friends at that.  Tibetan Folk Tales by A.L. Shelton with illustrations by Mildred Bryant (1925). 

3 comments:

  1. Brittan, I loved this story! I thought it was really cute, and it definitely kept my attention. At the beginning of the story, I thought they were running from Hadley because she was an evil cat. But as I kept reading and it said they were playing tag, I quickly put the pieces together and smiled. This was a great story and I liked the way you made it all cats running together on this great friend adventure. Good job overall! I thought it was great. Plus the photo of the cat is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your story. I thought your changes to make all the animals little kittens and having them play a game of tag really made the story your own and I thought they were some great changes. I also read the Tibetan Folk Tales unit and I could definitely see the inspiration from the original story in your story. The flow of the story was really great and I liked that you didn't reveal they were playing tag until the end. It was a great little twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story was the definition of adorable. It was seriously so cute. I love how you rewrote it to be about kittens because who doesn’t love kittens?! I did notice that you were missing some commas between clauses in your sentences, so make sure to separate those, and make sure you don’t have a comma where it shouldn’t be! I think a little more clarification about the original story in your author’s note would help illustrate what was in the original story and what wasn’t, but other than that, I thought your story was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete