Sunday, January 25, 2015

Reading Diary A: West African Folktales

For this week’s reading diary, I decided to read the stories of the West African FolktalesHow Wisdom Became the Property of the Human Race was one of my favorite stories from the first half of the unit.  At the end, the son of Father Anansi tries to climb a tree to place his pot of wisdom there but struggles and is unable until his son gives him a piece of advice to make it easier.  Right after, there was a quote from the Father that I really liked, “I thought I had all the world’s wisdom in this pot.  But I find you possess more than I do.  All my wisdom was insufficient to show me what to do, yet you have been able to tell me.”  I think that everyone knows something that someone else doesn’t and through your own experiences, you learn how to do things more efficiently or better and I liked in the story, how it was the son who gave his father the advice. 

Another story I liked from the unit was The Squirrel and the Spider.  I always like stories of people who do wrong not coming out on top because I don’t think they deserve it.  However, if I were to rewrite this story as my own for the storytelling post, I would change the ending so that the squirrel got his load back since he was the one who dug and sowed and planted them. 


I liked all the stories in the first half of the unit and found it interesting that a majority of them contained spider stories.  I absolutely hate spiders and these stories only remind me of how sneaky they are.  

Squirrel

1 comment:

  1. I really stopped to read this reading diary because of the picture of the squirrel. I think squirrels are really cute, and so it caught my attention. I didn't read the West African Folktales, but I love folktales in general, so I thought I would read a little bit more about what you read. I really like how you summarized both of those stories because they both sound great! I may actually go read those stories because they both sound like they have good messages. And I, too, do not like spiders, so I understand where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete