Friday, January 23, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Arabian Nights

For this week’s extra reading diary, I chose to read the Arabian Nights unit.  I was interested in learning more about this once I discovered that it incorporated the story of Aladdin which was always one of my favorite childhood stories.  One story that I particularly liked was Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp 1.  This story gave me more insight to the story that I already knew about Aladdin and his upbringing.  Aside from part one of the story, I really liked all of the stories of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp. 

Though the beginning of the unit was interesting, I enjoyed the second half a lot more because it told the stories I was more interested in.  Aside from the stories themselves, I also really liked the images that went along with the stories.  Even though most of the images were in black and white, they were very compelling. 


Another story I really liked was The Story of the Parrot.  I thought it was sad in the story when it said, “The husband, who knew that it had neither rained nor thundered in the night, was convinced that the parrot was not speaking the truth, so he took him out of the cage and threw him so roughly on the ground that he killed him.  Nevertheless he was sorry afterwards, for he found that the parrot had spoken the truth.”  


Disney's Aladdin

No comments:

Post a Comment