Saturday, January 24, 2015

Reading Diary B: Bengali Folktales

For the second half of my reading in the Bengali Folktales unit, one of the stories that I particularly liked was the story of A GhostlyWife.  The story is about how a ghost nearly kills a woman and becomes her and goes on to live the woman’s life and for a while, no one notices any differences.  Eventually, the family picks up on subtle hints that this woman is not their daughter-in-law or wife and knew that instead, she was a she-ghost.  Although this story has a happy ending, if I were retelling it for my storytelling post, I might change it up a bit.  I like that the woman was returned to her own self but think it might be interesting if she never was and the husband was forced to live with this she-ghost forever instead. 

One story I liked as well was The Story of a Brahmadaitya.  After reading about how all the men who went to the tree before had died from the ghosts, I was sure that Brahadaitya would die as well.  But I did like that he was able to come out with a branch from the tree like he was asked and instead of the ghosts killing him, they actually helped him.  If I were retelling the story, I would consider changing the way the story ends just to make it more interesting.  What if the ghosts wouldn't have been so generous to him?  Or what if when he got the branch, he wasn't granted the land like he was promised?   


Another part of that story that I liked was the image on The Story of a Brahmadaitya cont. was the image associated with it.  I love the darker colors showing the ghost surrounding the Brahman.  Without reading the story, it looks eerie and like the ghosts aren't helping, but if you do read the story, you find out it’s a much different case.  

The Story of a Brahmadaitya, by Warwick Goble

No comments:

Post a Comment