Sunday, January 25, 2015

Reading Diary B: British North America unit

I was a little bit disappointed in the second half of the unit, British North America this week.  Since I enjoyed the first half so much, I assumed that the second half would be similar but the stories were more about animals than the earth and moon.  Not that the stories were bad, I was just anticipating similar stories to what I read before. 

One story I did enjoy from the second half of the reading was the story Wolverene and Rock.  I found it funny that when the Wolverene got run over by the rolling rock and then the rock became stuck right on top of him, the other wolves and foxes told him that he got what he deserved for challenging a rock to run after him.  I’m not quite sure why when Wolverene called for his brother Thunder and Lightning that it tore Wolverene’s coat to pieces when he struck the rock into tiny pieces but it was humorous anyways. 

Another story I liked was Turtle and Thunder.  I think I might retell this story for my storytelling post this week because I liked how it incorporated so many different animals in the story.  And I also like how it told the story of why the turtle stays in the water when there is a thunderstorm. 


I wish that throughout this unit, there were more images.  Though they aren't always illustrations from the actual stories themselves, I still enjoy looking at them when I go from story to story.  


Lighting Source: kpbs.org


1 comment:

  1. Brittan- I really did enjoy the unit I choose from the British North America section, perhaps you just choose a dud, so to speak? The story of the Wolverine and Rock does sound interesting and funny. I can understand why you might want to use it for a storytelling post. I actually did my week 9 post based on the Turtle and Thunder. I really enjoyed that tale :)

    ReplyDelete