Saturday, January 24, 2015

Reading Diary A: Tibetan Folktales

For this week’s reading diary, I chose the Tibetan Folktales unit.  One of the things I particularly liked about this unit was that each story had a Proverb to go along with it.  One of my favorite stories of the unit was The Cony Who Got into Bad Company.  The Tibetan Proverb on that read, “If you are without kindness, you will meet no kindness in return.”  The story goes on to talk about a thieving rat and cony who stole from a lama.  So one night, the lama set up a tramp to catch them which he did.  As punishment, he cut off their whiskers, ears and tails and let them go.  They assured the lama that they were not thieves and were going to send an army to steal its grain.  When they went to the king, he knew they were lying about what happened and said, “You only got what you deserved.  When you are found in bad company you are judged as guilty as they.” 

Aside from the stories themselves, my favorite part of this unit is the Proverbs.  Another one of my favorite Proverbs from this unit was with The Ingratitude of Man and it said, “Whatever you have promised make it not as changeable as a loop in a string, but as firm as a line on a rock.”  These Proverbs kind of set up the story and let you know what type of lesson should be learned at the end of the story.  Overall, I like the stories in this first half of the unit and I hope the second half has more stories I can relate to and Proverbs that have a good lesson to them. 

 
Dungeon

No comments:

Post a Comment