Monday, April 13, 2015

Storytelling Week 11: The Mystery of the Poptart

The bus just dropped my brother and me off after school and we both ran, heading towards our house. 

We couldn’t be more excited to get home because there was a special surprise waiting for us when we got there.  Before we left for school this morning, we had our normal breakfast that consisted of toast and eggs but Mom told us that when we got home, we could have a snack and we were very excited for that since this wasn't a common occurrence.  The snack we both wanted so badly was the most delicious blueberry poptart with icing and sprinkles.  We had seen it in the pantry but knew it was off limits and we could only eat it on special occasions.  That’s why we were so surprised Mom said we could have it because it wasn’t a special occasion at all.  It was just a regular Tuesday. 

Finally we got to the house and ran inside to the kitchen where Mom was waiting for us.  When we saw her, though, she had this sad look in her eyes. 

“Boys, I’m sorry to tell you but the poptart is gone,” she said.

Shocked, my brother and I looked at each other.  “What happened to it, Mom? We didn’t eat it!”

“I don’t know what happened to it.  It was here when I left for work this morning and gone when I got home.  I’m sorry, boys, I don’t know what to tell you.”

I was particularly puzzled because I knew that I didn’t eat the poptart and there’s no way my brother could have eaten it either because we were both at school today.  But then I started thinking, who could have eaten it?  I was at school, my brother was at school, my mom was at work, and my sister was at school too. 

I was going to get to the bottom of this.

I ran up to my sister’s room and busted open the door yelling, “Megan! Did you eat the last poptart? We can’t find it and someone had to have eaten it!” 

“I didn’t eat your stupid poptart. I don’t even like them anyways.  Get out of my room!” she yelled.

I didn’t believe her!  She loves poptarts!  I’ve seen her eat them all the time.  I knew she had to be lying to me.

Back into the kitchen I went, calling for my mom on the way. 

“Megan said she didn’t eat the poptart but no one else could have done it and Megan was the first one home from school today.  It had to be her.”

“Son, there’s nothing we can do about it now.  The poptart is gone.  I’ll get you two something else tomorrow,” She said.

My brother and I were disappointed and weren’t willing to give up hope of finding out who ate our poptart. 

I decided to check, before I went back up to my sister's room, to see if the poptart could possibly be in the pantry somewhere. 

I went over and opened up the pantry and lifted nearly every box and can to see if it was hiding underneath something and nope, nothing. 

But then, there it was.  I saw it.  Its shiny silver package was peeking through the cracks of all the boxes in the back.  It must have fallen from the top shelf and become lodged in the back!  I couldn’t be more excited! 

My brother watched the whole thing and was equally as excited for the find as I was.  I brought the poptart over to the table and opened the package, giving my brother half and half to myself.  We sat there and savored every bite.  It just might have been the best thing I’ve ever eaten. 

Blueberry Poptart



Author’s Note: I based this story off of the original story, Who Stole the Tarts?  in the Alice in Wonderland unit.  I chose to retell a story from this unit because it contains some of my favorite childhood stories and I thought they were all so fun as a kid and still do now.  In the original story, the characters stood before a judge and pleaded their case as to why they weren’t guilty of stealing the tarts.  I mostly gathered my idea for this new spin on the story from the title of the original story, Who Stole the Tarts? which reminded me of poptarts for some reason.  Maybe I’m hungry.  Anyways, I decided to keep certain aspects of the original in mine like a hunt to find out what happened to the tarts and question all those involved.  I decided to have the poptart be hidden the whole time because that happens often to me with food and things in general.  I had similar experiences as a kid when I thought I lost something and it was there all along.  Typically, though, my mom was the one who always found it so I switched it up a bit in this story and had the boys find it instead.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brittan! Your title for this week’s storytelling really drew me in because I wanted to know how a pop tart could be mysterious. Another thing that drew me to the story was the type of pop tart. When I used to eat them when I was younger, blueberry was my favorite pop tart. I thought the story was really cute and written well with good grammar as well as organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittan! Pop tarts are pretty good so I understand why the boys got mad haha. Great job with your story though, I really enjoyed it! I especially liked how it ended up being no one's fault. Most people, including myself, often try to assign blame to someone if something happens so I thought it was a good lesson for the boys. Overall, I thought you did a great job and I look forward to reading some of your other stories!

    ReplyDelete