Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Reading Diary B: Andersen Unit

 I really loved part one of the Little Mermaid story.  The word choice and language in these stories is so fun and vibrant and really descriptive.  I also like how positive and bright the story is at the beginning.  The descriptions of the scenery made it really easy to imagine what the sea must have looked like and the types of creatures and nature you would see under the sea like the flowers being as red as the sunset and the marble statue that was carved out of white stone and the blue sands. 

One of my favorite parts of the second story was the paragraph about the large ship.  It was easy to imagine what was going on and even easier to imagine the young prince.  He was described as the most beautiful of all, with large black eyes and sixteen years old. 

Even though this story was turned into a Disney movie, the writing is very mature.  I think that sometimes people underestimate the writing of a children’s story because of the content, not because of the actual writing itself. 

I think if I were to retell this story I would focus on the first one and include even more detail about what under the sea looked like.  It would be interesting to use the kind of descriptions the author used in these stories and make it a little darker instead.  Though I usually don’t like to turn my stories darker than the original, I think it would make for an interesting story and the way the scenery would be described would be really different. 


Overall, I really liked the Little Mermaid and the entire unit as a whole.  The story was just how I imagined and remembered from the movie as a little kid.  I had never read the stories until now; I had only seen the movie.  I’m glad I was able to know the story from the writing, not just the movie.  

The Little Mermaid 

No comments:

Post a Comment