Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Reading Diary A: Grimm Unit

This week I decided to read stories from the Brothers Grimm LibriVox unit.  One of the stories from the first half of the unit that I really enjoyed was Rapunzel.  Though I have never actually read the story until now, I knew of its general plot and storyline so it was nice to get a chance to finally read it.  My favorite part of the story was when Rapunzel let her hair down. 

Rapunzel, Rapunzel,
Let down your hair to me.

Rapunzel had magnificent long hair, fine as spun gold, and when she heard the voice of the enchantress, she unfastened her braided tresses, wound them round one of the hooks of the window above, and then the hair fell twenty ells down, and the enchantress climbed up by it.”

I thought the use of adjectives to describe Rapunzel’s hair was excellent and really allowed me to imagine what that looked like. 

Another story that I enjoyed from the unit was The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean.  I thought the story was different from some of the others in this unit which I appreciated.  It made me laugh that the inanimate objects like the bean and the coal and the straw could all talk and were appreciate that they escaped their death of burning in the fire of losing their skin and being made into broth. 

Overall, I thought this unit was full of fun and quirky stories and I really enjoyed them.  It seemed like some of the stories were a bit random and didn’t fit together like some of the other stories in the European units but I kind of like it that way.  

Disney's Rapunzel

No comments:

Post a Comment