Monday, April 6, 2015

Storytelling Week 6: The Game

Once upon a time in a faraway land lived two little kitties, Moe and Lucy; Moe, who was a long haired tabby cat and Lucy, a short white haired cat.  All cooped up inside and wanting to have some fun, the two kitties decided to go for an afternoon stroll.  As they started down the street, they saw Hadley, the meanest kitty of them all.  Hadley had these dark black eyes to match her even darker fur coat.  She looked as mean as you’d imagine. 

Hadley stopped and hissed at them and ran after them until she couldn’t keep up with the two younger kitties much longer and she disappeared into the distance.

Desperately trying to escape the mean old Hadley, the two little kitties were running for their lives when they found Clo, a calico with vibrant orange colors, hiding behind a bench. 

They said to Clo, “Come with us! Hurry and run!  

"It’s Hadley!  And she isn’t far behind!  Hurry! She’s coming, she’s coming!”   

One more kitty again running for her life, Clo took off with the other two in hopes of never coming across Hadley.  

Now there were three little kitties running down the road when they happened upon the group's youngest member, Baker, who was on the other side of the road.  They meowed to Baker, “Come, Baker, come!  


"Hadley is coming! I can almost hear her!”  So went Baker, Clo and the two little kitties all running down the road.

They continued on their journey to escape the meanest cat of them all.   Off in the distance they found Scottish Fold, Pepe, who was sitting near a mailbox.  Again the kitties cried for Pepe to hurry because Hadley was coming.  


All of the kitties were scared for their lives so they ran and ran as fast as they could.  They hadn’t seen Hadley since back before Clo but they knew she was coming so she had to be close. 


They made it to the market, a little ways up the road, where they were greeted by none other than Hadley.  

Clo, Baker, Pepe and the two little kitties knew they had been seen.  

There was nothing to do but freeze in their tracks and Hadley approached them and gave one a whack.  She bopped little Pepe right on the nose and as she did it, she shouted, “Tag!  You’re it!” 


 All of the kitties laughed except for little Pepe who was now trying to catch one of the other kitties! 


 And so the game went on, for hours and hours, until all the kitties had been caught and tagged. 


Tired and worn out, all the kitties went home.  Their game of tag was an afternoon ritual and before the kitties departed, they meowed, “See you tomorrow.”  The kitties were no longer bored from sitting at home and were looking forward to the next day when they would once again run for their little cat lives from their very best friends, Clo, Barker, Pepe and Hadley.  Very soon, they would all meet again.  




Author's Note: For this week's storytelling post, I decided to retell the story of The Two Little Cats.  In the original story, two little kitties were going to find some salt to put in their tea and along the way, they ran into some unusual characters.  All of the animals that the kitties ran into offered to help the kitties find some salt for their tea and protect them against the meanest animal of them all, Handre.  I was inspired by the original story to turn their adventures of getting salt for their tea into a game of tag.  Instead of having all the characters the cats ran into be different, I made them all cats and best friends at that.  In the original story, there were two kitties, a cow, dog, crow, snake, a panful of ashes, a package of needles, and a bowl of peas.  I wanted all the animals to be cats because I always see cats running together and I thought it would be something you might see in real life. I wanted to make the story more uplifting from the original.  In the original, the dreaded Handre was killed and eaten by the dog and I wanted my story to be a little more positive than that.  I thought that having all the cats just play a game would be a different outcome than what people might have expected.   Tibetan Folk Tales by A.L. Shelton with illustrations by Mildred Bryant (1925). 

9 comments:

  1. Hey Brittan! This was such a cute story! I adore kittens and all I could do while I read your story was imagine little kittens chasing each other around. I felt like I was watching the show Too Cute on Animal Planet. Anyway, the story was great and very adorable! Just a few comments I was to point out that might help shape your story. In the 1st paragraph you could say, “walking down the street” instead of “started down the street.” Also, the beginning sentence in the fourth paragraph is a bit jumbled. So instead, you could say something like, “another kitty running for her life, Clo.” When I first read the story, I was reading it as though a mean kitty was going to hurt all the others until the ending. But because it was a game of tag, maybe I would change the negative connotation with Hadley. There are other ways to make it suspenseful without saying one of the cats are mean. Other than that, I really enjoyed reading this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This was such a fun, cute story. I really enjoyed how you used little kitties in the story (they are precious) and it was such a fun picture in my mind of little kitties playing tag with one another. I appreciate how in the author’s note you explained the original story and why you changed what you did. The picture also was cute and gave me a picture in my mind of a cute kitty. If anything, I’d move the picture up to earlier in the story so that I could picture that kitten in particular running around and playing. Another very petty thing that you could “correct” would be to keep the spacing in between paragraphs the same since the final paragraph has a lot more spaces between it and the other paragraphs. Both of those are petty corrections, but I don’t know what else to have you fix – it was a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story was SO cute! The names you came up with for the kittens were absolutely adorable. I love pets but I'm terrible at coming up with names for them. I think the story still would have worked if it was a group of different young animals, including like a goose, a squirrel, a turtle or something like that. Makes me think of the kids' shows Franklin or Little Bear. But still, your story was a little ball of joy, just like a kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats yo! Cats are the bomb! I'm doing this for extra project commenting, so you do not have to see my blog at all, but I have written about cats each week for my storytelling. I love them.
    Anyways, I like the story a lot. I can really see this happening (And I do more than enough. My two cats love to play with each other and run up and down the stairs. I think they try to make as much noise as they possibly can.) I liked the little twist at the end where it turned out that the cats were only playing tag. This was a very simple, heart-warming story, and the use of cats fit into it very well. Great Job!
    The image you chose is great too. It looks like the cat is playing hide-and-go-seek tag. Which if cats play tag, I'm sure they play hide-and-go-seek tag too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Brittan! First off, (and I may have said it before, but I am going to say it again!) I love the layout/design of your blog! Moving on to the story itself, the fact that you used kitties as the main characters in your story automatically wins you points, especially in an online blog, haha. I love the names you gave to all of them, though I am curious about where the inspiration for all of the names came from. Once I read your author’s note, I knew exactly what story the inspiration for this one was pulled from, but may I say that you put enough of a creative twist on it that it is hardly recognizable as anything other than an original work! And the plot twist at the end, where Hadley was not simply the meanest cat but in actuality the friend of the other cats who was “it,” I practically laughed out loud—all that time imagining a frightful ending, and it was nothing but a simple game of tag.

    I really enjoyed your story! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on this story! I am not going to lie; I was very confused as to where this was going to go? Why was Hadley so mean? Why were the other kittens gathering in numbers? I kind of expected the numbers to grow until the kittens had enough to stand up to Hadley. I was shocked to see that they were all friends in the end! I loved that it was just a fun, cute game. For some reason this story in particular reminds me of Homeward bound the movie. It is about 2 dogs and a cat that are best friends and find their way home. It is a warm-hearted movie, much like this story. Your story made my night for sure. I can’t help but to smile when I read this story. It is so stinking adorable, and is probably the cutest story I have read this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brittan. I thought this was a great story. Great job on misleading us to believe that Hadley was this mean cat, but then they all ended up being friends in the end. I also liked how you ended the story. How they all would meet again tomorrow, but you made tomorrow seem so far away because they were all excited. I also thought you picked great names for the cats within the story. They were original and enhanced the entire "cuteness" aspect to the story haha. Great job with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title of your story was simple but still caught my attention. This is because I was unsure what I was going to be reading about and was curious to find out. Aww. Precious kitties, I could picture them right away after your descriptions. Hadley is such a sweet and cute name for the meanest kitty of them all in my opinion. All of the dialogue in the story really helped with picturing what was going on. The dialogue made the story a lot more interesting as well. I love how the story ended up being about kitties playing tag. This was a very creative storytelling and I enjoyed reading it. Your author’s note does a great job of summarizing the original story and explaining your reasoning. I agree that you can see cats running around in real life; I think it would be fun to retell this story with dogs as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the deception that Hadley was a mean cat trying to catch and hurt the kittens but ended up just being "it" in a game of tag to be awesome. It really threw me for a loop at the end and that is refreshing in a story such as this.
    My only suggestion would be to separate dialogue from the paragraphs. This will make the story flow a little easier in my opinion.
    Your author's note does a great job of explaining the original story and your thought's behind writing this like you did. I had never read this story or unit so it was imperative that your author's note described the original and you did a great job with it.
    Also, on a side note, I really like the layout and design of your blog site. It really makes everything accessible and the colors that you have chosen make the stories easy to read as the words don't blend in with the background at all.

    ReplyDelete