Monday, April 13, 2015

Reading Diary A: Andersen Fairy Tales Unit

I thought the plot of the first story, Princess and Pea, was pretty interesting.  I liked how the Prince was trying to decipher whether the princesses he came across were real princesses or not.  He finally realized she was a real princess after she slept on top of twenty mattresses with a single pea on the very bottom and said that she slept poorly because she could feel something hard.  They concluded that only a real princess would be that sensitive and would be able to feel a pea under all those mattresses.  I thought the ending was a little strange though how they put the pea in a museum.  It didn’t seem to fit with the rest of the story but I still liked it overall. 

Another story I liked was The Emperor’s New Suit.  I think that I might try and retell this story for the storytelling post this week.  I particularly like the beginning of the story which is about an emperor who spent all of his money on clothes because his only ambition in life was to be well dressed.  I think it might be fun to retell this story from a woman’s point of view and also maybe from a college girl’s point of view because I personally know a lot of people who spend all of their money on clothes even when they have other things they need to be taking care of instead. 


I am looking forward to reading the story of the Little Mermaid tomorrow and depending on how well I like the story, I might consider retelling some parts of the original for my storytelling post this week instead of retelling the Emperor’s New Suit.  

Princess and Pea

No comments:

Post a Comment