Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reading Diary B: British Isles Unit

Who Stole the Tarts? Was one of my favorite stories from the second half of Alice in Wonderland.  My favorite part of the story comes towards the end when the White Rabbit unrolled the scroll that read, “The Queen of Hearts, she made some tarts, All on a summer day: The Knave of Hearts, he stole those tarts, and took them quite away!”  There was another part that really stuck out to me in this story and that was when the Hatter took a bite out of his teacup.  “…looking uneasily at the Queen, and in his confusion he bit a large piece out of his teacup instead of the bread-and-butter.”  As I finished reading, I remembered how much I enjoyed this part of the story and the movie.  It also reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where Willy Wonka takes a bit of the teacup in the movie.  It’s ironic since he also plays the Mad Hatter in the new Alice in Wonderland as well. 
I think these stories were brilliantly written.  The dialogue between all the characters seemed very realistic and the use of such short remarks seems like something I would hear in a normal conversation about whether someone is guilty of something or not.  In the second part of the story it goes on to say:

“I didn’t” the March Hare interrupted in a great hurry.
“You did!” said the March Hare.
“He denies it,” said the King: leave out that part.”


The short conversation made me laugh and it was just fun to read.  Like in the first half, I really enjoyed all of the images that went along with the stories and thought there were a lot more images in this particular unit than in previous ones which I enjoyed.  

Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment