Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Reading Diary B: Apache Unit

One of my favorite stories from the second half of the unit was Coyote Tries to Make His Children Spotted.  Like many of the other stories I’ve read in this unit, I really liked the beginning and then it made quite the turn.  The story was about how a coyote wants his children to be spotted like the deer’s fawns.  The deer tells the coyote that the reason fawns have spots is because they stand by a fire and the sparks give them spots.  It seemed like a cute story to begin with but then turned dark when the coyote tried that method with his children and they were all burned to death.  I think I might consider retelling this story so that it isn’t so sad. 

I have noticed that the reoccurring theme throughout this unit seems to be death.  I also liked the story Coyote Kills the Prairie Dogs.  Even though the story was dark, I liked that it was centered on a dance.  I liked that a Wildcat was introduced towards the middle of the story because it added an extra character. 

Another story I liked was Coyote and the Mexicans.  I liked the set-up of the story and the way that all of the dialogue was separated into their own lines.  It made the reading flow smoothly and helped show which character was talking. 


Still, I thought all of the stories were strange but in a good way.  The stories were different than most that I’ve read so I’m glad I got to read a variety of different types of stories.  

fawn in a field

No comments:

Post a Comment