Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Storytelling Week 5: The Tree

Once upon a time, there lived a poor man Paul.  Born into poverty, money and wealth was something he had never known.  He had a wife and three children and as a poor man, he was a beggar and would walk around the village, asking for any food he could have to feed his family. 

He went door to door for weeks and received enough food to get by but as the weeks turned into months, the food became scarce.  He knew he couldn’t keep up the unknown of whether or not his family would have food for much longer for it was not enough for his family anymore. 

One day, Paul saw an old, cranky man who had lived in the village for sixty years and there, he overheard the man, who owned one hundred acres of property in the village, say he had an announcement to make the following day at noon. 

Hearing this news, Paul was going to return the next day at noon to see what the landlord had to say, hoping it might be something that would help his family.  Though Paul knew his hope was a little far-fetched, he had no other options. 

So the next day, the landlord came out to make his speech.  Little did Paul know, the landlord was looking for someone to do a task for him and in return, he who completed the task would be granted a great reward.  

Paul asked, “Sir, what is the task you need done?  I am willing to do anything.” 

The landlord replied, “I am in need of someone to go fetch me an apple from the tallest apple tree far away in the forest. This is a tree that no one can miss.  It is the tallest, biggest, and most plentiful apple tree anyone has ever seen. 

Though I know no one has ever been able to climb it, since the land out there has a history of being haunted by the dead who roam there, the man who picks the apple will be granted ten acres of my land.  There, you will be able to live rent free forever.” 

Paul knew that no one had ever been able to climb the tree alone or dare to wander that far in fear of the ghosts, but he also knew this was his only chance at saving his family from the poor, begging life he was living.  Terrified of the unknown, none of the other men accepted the challenge to make their way out to the tree and get an apple, except for Paul, whose desperation kept him motivated.

And so, that night, Paul walked out into the depths of the forest, into the land where ghosts roam, to find the apple tree and grab just one apple for the landlord.    

Paul was on the lookout.  Though he had never been afraid of ghosts before, the stories he heard about the ones here made him weary.  As he searched and searched for the tree, he never once saw a ghost anywhere.  Onward he searched until - there it was. 

When he finally saw the tree, he knew the landlord was right.  It was the tallest, biggest, most plentiful apple tree he had ever seen.  There was more fruit on the tree than he could have ever imagined.  He knew this was enough to feed his whole family for months and months. 

“If there were some way that I could build a home out here, my family and I would be set.  I don’t have the money or the resources to build a home, but this tree would provide enough food,” he said to himself. 

But Paul was torn.  He knew there was a decision to make.  If he returned the apple to the old man, he would have a place to live but no food and if he didn’t return the apple, he would have enough food but no place to live. 

As he paced, thinking about what he should do, he saw a small hole in the trunk of the tree that was barely visible from the tall grass surrounding it but once he pushed aside the grass, the hole was even larger than he thought.  

Intrigued, he took a closer look and saw the most amazing thing. 

Inside the bark of the tree was the safe haven he was looking for.  It was like an underground bunker, safe from the harsh weather, big enough for his whole family, and inside the tree that produced enough fruit for his family to survive. 

Because no one else volunteered to climb the tree for the landlord, he knew that no one would come looking for him if he did not return and with that in mind, he decided not to go back. 

Back at the village, Paul’s family was anxiously awaiting his arrival.  They wanted to be there when Paul was granted the land, so that they could all celebrate together.  They knew that Paul was not one to be afraid of ghosts and they all knew he would be victorious and face the danger.  But as they stood there, they overheard yelling in the near distance. 

“That ignorant beggar!” exclaimed the landlord.  “I knew he couldn’t do it.  No one ever has!  Paul and his family will never live on my land!” 

Overcome with fear after what they heard, the family left the village and began searching for Paul.  They made their way to the apple tree, unafraid of anything or anyone they might run into, including the ghosts.  This was last place they knew he’d be. 

Panicked, the family yelled for Paul.  “Paul!  Paul!  Are you here?  We’ve looked everywhere!  Please, if you’re out here, come to us!” 

Paul heard the cries of his wife and kids and came running out of the trunk of the tree. 

“My family!  I have found shelter for you, here, inside this tree.  It will protect us and feed us for years to come.”  “Out here in this wonderful land, there was no sight of any ghosts, no fear, nothing to scare us away!  The rumors of ghosts had to be untrue or maybe they knew the plea of a desperate man and decided to let us stay without conflict.”   

His family was overjoyed. 

With tears of happiness in her eyes, his wife said, “We can’t believe you have found somewhere for us to live and provide for us.  We can’t thank you enough!”

“Before we go inside, there’s just one more thing I need your help with,” said Paul. 

So before they went inside, with the help of his family, Paul climbed the apple tree and tossed down six dozen apples to his kids. 

Together, Paul and his family were set.  He found an unexpected place for his family to live without having to put up with the demands from the landlord. 

There they lived, together, protected, and far from hungry.  




Apple tree

Author’s note: This story was based off of the original story, The Story of a BrahmadaityaI decided to keep small aspects of the original story but change many of the details.  In the original story, the Brahman, who in my story is Paul, was a poor man who overheard a man in the village say that he was willing to give away ten acres of land if someone would go get him a branch from a very haunted tree.  Those who had gone before had died and never returned, so none of the others wanted to try except for the Brahman.  When he finally gets to the haunted tree, the ghosts, instead of hurting the Brahman, actually helped him and allowed him to take a branch so that he could have a place to live.  He returned to the landlord with the branch and from there, was granted the land he was promised.  I decided to only retell the first portion of the story because I liked it best and really wanted to put my effort into retelling it.   I really liked the original story so I wanted to keep some of the original aspects of the story.  I thought the story was an interesting ghost story because it didn’t turn out the way you’d expect.  Typically, you don’t think of ghosts being helpful but in the original, they were.  In the original, the Brahman was so brave and also desperate for help that he was willing to do anything and I wanted to keep that aspect in my story.  I wanted to change the story from supernatural to a more realistic story so, I changed the focus from a tree branch to an apple tree so that it would serve the purpose of providing Paul with food for his family.  Part of my inspiration for Paul finding a hole in the tree came from Alice in Wonderland.  There, Alice falls down the rabbit hole and here, Paul finds a hole in the tree that leads to another "world" for his family, a safe haven.  

Bibliography:
Folk-Tales of Bengal by Rev. Lal Behari Day with illustrations by Warwick Goble (1912).  

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Brittan. This was an interesting retelling based on a story I had not heard of before. At first, I wasn't sure why there was like a hidden basement underneath the tree. It didn't seem very realistic. But I like how you were invested in the character you read about and wanted to help him. I feel that if many of us had the chance to rewrite parts of our favorite stories for our favorite characters, we would do things to make their lives easier or better and help them avoid hardships that we know are coming. So once I read your author's note, the way the story played out made a lot of sense. I wish I knew more about the original story, though. I don't know anything about it because I haven't read it and your author's note doesn't really tell me what happened either. A short summary of the plot would be great, and explaining any major changes you made (that aren't obvious from the summary) would be a plus. Overall, good job on your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved your retelling of the story. I'd never read this story before but I really enjoyed it. I love that you felt such sympathy for your character that you changed the story to make him have an easier time, and provided him with the tools to take care of his family. I wish I knew a little more about the original story however. I am not quite sure how the original story ended. Your authors note detailing the changes you made, made me really curious about the original story. It could be a good idea to include more about the original ending to the story in the author's note, particularly how it ends if you change that aspect. I think it would help to clarify your changes a little bit.

    I loved the detail of your story though, and I definitely was rooting for your character the entire time. Thanks for a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you took the suggestions before me and updated your author's note. It does a great job of explaining the original story and its plot. You did a great job explaining the changes you made, why you made them, and your inspiration for retelling the story in your own way. This makes it even more enjoyable for the reader to experience your retelling.
    The story itself does a great job of conveying the thoughts and experiences the poor beggar is having. The inner dialogue within your retelling makes it feel as if I'm in the head of the beggar himself. I also think your paragraphs are well constructed. They are not overly long or short making the story flow efficiently and not get to wordy.
    My only suggestion would be to remove "revised" from your story title. The original title will work fine and fits the story quite nicely. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did an awesome job retelling this story, Brittan. It flowed very well and it grabbed my attention right at the start. I like how you started the story off with a little bit of background information about Paul and his family, letting us know how poor they are and how difficult it has been for them to find food. I also think you did a great job incorporating the dialogue into your story. It really adds some personality to the characters, especially the ignorant landlord. I think it was a good decision to leave the ghosts out too, since you were going for a little bit more realistic version of the story. Your author’s note really helps understand the differences between your story and the original story as well, and I’m glad that you included the fact that some of your inspiration came from Alice in Wonderland too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittan: You did a really fantastic job of creating paragraph breaks at the perfect points; it kept the reading experience fresh and well-paced. Very nice job there.

    Also, your narrative style is fast-paced and follows a sort of no-nonsense approach. This was quite good and prevented any muddling of the overall trajectory of the story.

    Your character development was pretty good and I had a feel for the plight of Paul. However, it was difficult to empathize with his situation because we don't hear from him much and the story is told in third-person. I liked the narration but think it could have discussed his emotions a bit more.

    Grammatically, things look fine. I do think that you did well inserting dialogue where dialogue was needed. However, perhaps some auxiliary statements could be used to lead into the dialogue, so as to "set the stage" for the conversations between characters.

    Your author's note was really detailed and well written. I felt that after reading it, I had a fuller understanding of how you connected two stories from distinct cultures and wove certain aspects of them into the story you told.

    I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Brittan! I really enjoyed your story, different as it was from the original! While I would probably have kept the supernatural aspect of the tale (I have always had a thing for science fiction and fantasy, haha), the way you reworked it you would never think that the story could have gone another way.

    That being said, I also just wanted to comment on how much I love the layout of your blog. It looks almost like someone spilled ink along the top of a page, and this really adds to the atmosphere of creativity that infuses your blog and portfolio, especially. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brittan I loved this! A story of a man who had nothing but risked it all to provide of this life and come upon a place that would lead him to live a prosperous life for the rest of time! You did a great job walking us through the story and I really like the way you spaced out the sentences. Your posts are very clear and easy to read. That's minor but I find it important and always favor blogs when their formatting is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brittan! I really enjoyed this story of yours; I didn't read the original, but I thought this adaptation was great! It was a really good modern take on the story and I think you did a great job telling the story and developing the plot. The characters were great, and the use of dialogue made the story more interesting and helped to further develop your characters. As I was reading about the hole in the tree, I was actually thinking of Alice in Wonderland, so good job at portraying that since that's what you were going for!

    The only suggestion I have is that some sentences sound very repetitive, so if you can just proofread for conciseness, it may help with shortening the story and with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such an original story! I can really see your creative side in this story and it is great. I loved how you made the story a happy ending for a well deserved family. I did notice some grammar errors or things that you could play around with though. On the first sentence of the first paragraph, you could add named in between the man and Paul to make it flow better. The opening of the second paragraph confused me a bit. If he had grown up in poverty, wouldn’t he have always been a beggar going door to door? Maybe explain more about the man like how he gets resources or if at all money. In the 7th and 8th paragraph, I think you forgot to connect those paragraphs together since the monologue did not end. Other than those small things, the story was fantastic. Can’t wait to read more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a really great retelling of the original! I didn't read the original so I'm glad that you kind of talked about it in the author's note. I like your story way better! I agree that you usually don't hear about friendly ghosts. You were very creative with it! It's awesome that you ended the story with the happy ending! It's great that a family who had to live on scraps gets food for a lifetime and a nice place to live. I did think it was kind of odd that there was a bunker in the tree though. I read your author's note and saw the part about Alice in Wonderland so that made more sense. There are a few grammar mistakes but other than that, the story was good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed your retelling of this story. I have never read the original but I liked how you changed the story to make it your own. I think that Paul made a great main character. You gave enough detail about him to where I could sense the type of man that he was. He cared deeply for his family and was willing to risk his life to find a way to keep them safe and free from hunger. I like how you changed the story to where he was able to not only find food for his family, but to also provide shelter as well. I also liked how he didn't have to rely on the landlord for anything. He doesn't have to worry about anyone coming after them because of the rumors of ghosts that I am assuming were just rumors. Overall, I really enjoyed your story and I love how it had such a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete